Friday, March 6, 2009

Some New Things


In this post I'll be sharing a few new things I've found lately.

Number 1: A cover of Wilco's Radio Cure by the Bad Plus. The Bad Plus are like an alternative jazz band, similar to Brad Mehldau (if you don't know him, buy the album Largo now!) and in their most recent album, they included a cover of Radio Cure, a track from Wilco's album Yankee Hotel Foxtrot. They take some nice liberties by making it their own, but the beauty and awesomeness of original song remain intact. It starts out a little odd but really picks up towards the end. It's a great listen and shines a new light on an already great song.

Number 2: I recently found out about the band Funeral Party and they are really awesome! Like REALLY REALLY awesome. They kind of have a dance aspect to their sound but bring an Alt. Rock hint to it. They have a really fresh sound and I'm really excited about them. I could only find 3 of their songs on iTunes and I couldn't find any of them on the internet so if anyone wants to send me some more of their stuff let me know! They are definitely worth checking out and the 3 songs are definitely worth buying on iTunes.

Number 3: For those of you who watched the 500 Days of Summer trailer that I posted about a few weeks ago and enjoyed the song in it, I found out the name. It's called Sweet Disposition by The Temper Trap. Even if you didn't see the trailer (which you should), listen to the song. It's pretty good.

Number 4: I found a really good Damien Rice single on iTunes called Unplayed Piano. It's very good and it's one of my favorite songs by him now. The song features Lisa Hannigan who I've never heard of but I really enjoy the song. It's very nice and relaxing.

Number 5: Wilco announced a while ago that they were coming out with a live concert DVD titled Ashes of American Flags and they recently posted a link to the trailer on their website. It looks pretty good and I'm excited to see it. I think it won Best Cinematography at a film festival (possibly South by Southwest) so check it out. http://ashesofamericanmovie.com/

Number 6: iTunes sometimes has celebrity playlists advertised on the Music Store and I recently found Bon Iver's playlist. Some pretty interesting music and unfortunately I couldn't find it again but for those of you interested, you might want to check out what he's listening to. Bellow is a list of his picks.

1. A Forest - The Cure
2. Steal Away - Sam Cooke
3. Seems I'm Never Tired Lovin' You - Nina Simone
4. A Song For You - Donny Hathaway
5. All Fires - Swan Lake
6. Fun - Collections of Colonies of Bees
7. Get Right Church, Let's Go Home - The Staple Singers
8. Valerie - Amy Winehouse
9. Made In The Dark - Hot Chip
10. Like You'll Never See Me Again - Alicia Keys
11. Don't Stop 'Till You Get Enough (Original Demo from 1978) - Michael Jackson
12. One Mo'gin - D'Angelo
13. Long Distance Runner - Fugazi
14. Matchstick Maker - Bowerbirds

Thanks for checking in and I'll have a few new album reviews up in the next few days so be sure to check back.

1 comment:

  1. I like how you hit key points in this article and concisely gave your recommendations. Your thirst for knowledge in the music/movie world is quite admirable and your passion shines through when you share your insight on your findings, not to mention you do it well!

    ReplyDelete